K40 Whisperer is an alternative to the the Laser Draw (LaserDRW) program that comes with the cheap Chinese laser cutters available on E-Bay and Amazon. K40 Whisperer reads SVG and DXF files interprets the data and sends commands to the K40 controller to move the laser head and control the laser accordingly. K40 Whisperer does not require a USB key (dongle) to function.
K40 Whisperer is a free open source program released under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Changes in Version 0.01
- Initial Release
Changes in Version 0.02
- Added Min/Max darkness cutoff settings for halftone raster images.
- Fixed bug that could cause raster engraving to start engraving the wrong direction.
- Fixed error messages and added better error messages.
- Removed Numpy dependency.
Changes in Version 0.03
- Added more descriptive text to "No Backend Error" to indicate libUSB is not installed
- Removed debugging code that could have resulted in the head moving 1" away from raster image.
- Updated raster test pattern SVG file.
Changes in Version 0.04
- Improvements to DXF import to prevent import failures
- DXF import now detects blue lines and designates them as engraving lines.
- DXF import looks for layers that have the text "engrave" in the name and designates items on the layer as engraving lines.
- DXF import now detects the units in the file. If no units are specified the user is prompted to select the correct units.
- Stop button now works during all phases of engraving preparation
- Status updates more during engraving preparation and engraving process
- Stop button now pauses job with the option to resume or terminate the job.
- Added error on detection of color coded text in SVG files.
- Deleted Min/Max darkness cutoff settings for halftone raster images.
- Added Levels settings utilizing a Bezier curve to control the levels of gray-scale images
- Changed scan-line step input to always be in inches.
Changes in Version 0.05
- Added option to support homing in the upper right corner (instead of the upper left corner) for some 50W machines
- Changed the final move after vector engrave and vector cutting to be a rapid move to the starting position (was at working speed move).
- Updated code to support more easily running on Mac computers. Instructions added in the src zip file for getting started on Mac.
- Eliminated the requirement for the PIL/Pillow _imaging C module.
- Started updating for compatibility with Python 3 (this is a low priority work in progress)
Changes in Version 0.06
- Added code to DXF class to fix bad knot data in splines.
- Added better status messages during image processing
- Changed half toning to PIL/PILLOW half toning (faster)
- Added better error message for Memory Error which previously resulted in a blank message box.
- Added a 64 bit executable to the list of downloads to address memory limitations with the 32 bit application
Changes in Version 0.07
- Fixed "maximum recursion depth..." error when engraving/cutting.
- Adjusted code for better memory management when generating data for the laser cutter.
Changes in Version 0.08
- Fixed X-axis rapid motion bug that resulted in a engraving/cutting offset after some .003 inch rapid motions.
- Instructions added in the src zip file for getting setup on Linux (README_Linux.txt).
- Added code for B1 controller boards (Not enabled yet still need to be tested.)
Changes in Version 0.09
- Adjusted DXF import to avoid DXF loading fail due to rounding error during calculations.
Changes in Version 0.10
- Added support for SVG "polyline" and "polygon" objects
- Added code to automatically convert text to paths when red/blue vector text outlines are found.
- Hidden layers in Inkscape SVG files now remain hidden.
Changes in Version 0.11
- Added support for reading g-code.
- Enabled option for controller board version B1
- Fixed a bug that resulted in bad design scaling if one of the feed rates were not entered correctly when changing units.
- Added support for SVG "Line" objects
|K40 Whisperer for Windows (32 bit)||K40 Whisperer for Windows (64 bit)||K40 Whisperer Source|